Jul 7, 2011

Djokovic Declares More To Come

DJOKOVIC: "IT STILL HASN'T SUNK IN"
New ATP World Tour No. 1 and Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic was a man in demand on Monday morning as he conducted a media tour on the competitors’ lawn at the All England Club. 
After attending the Wimbledon Champions’ Dinner on Sunday evening, the elated Serb had eventually got to bed after midnight. But before flying home to Serbia on Monday afternoon, he returned to the scene of his third major triumph to share his thoughts with the world’s media.


he 24 year old spent 35 minutes filming television interviews with the BBC, Sky Italia, Sky News, ITN, CNN, ATP World Tour Uncovered, his racquet sponsor HEAD, and B92 Serbia, before heading downstairs to chat exclusively to the British national daily newspapers, and international publications such as 
L’Equipe, New York Times, Gazzetta Dello Sport and the Wall Street Journal.

“I still haven’t had enough time to realise the success that I had. I’m sure in the next couple of days I’ll start to think about how big this win is,” said Djokovic. “I’m about to celebrate with my people back in Serbia, we are all going there and will try to find out how big of a deal this is. For me it’s just incredible, I’m living the dream. I’m very proud that the people in my country are sharing this success.”
Since the start of 2011, Djokovic has compiled a 48-1 mark, winning eight tour-level titles, also including the Australian Open. But he’s not done yet. “I achieved the best two most important goals in my life here at Wimbledon, but I definitely want to come back for some more,” he said. “I want to win more Grand Slams. I want to stay No. 1 as long as I can and try to win the US Open, the French Open and next year the Olympic medal. There’s a lot more to prove.”
The Belgrade native was quick to banish the notion that the Nadal-Federer era had come to an end after finishing their eight-year reign at Wimbledon, but added that the men’s game is now more competitive; a trait he feels is better for tennis. “Their rivalry is still on. They are still the two most dominant players that we have in the game. Federer is still playing great; he showed that at the French Open and I’m sure he wants to come back and win more majors.
“Then you have Nadal who is at the top of his form and Murray who, I think, in the last three or four months has been a real contender for a Grand Slam title. He needs to make the final step at a Grand Slam and I’m sure he will. Now, more so than in the last five years, I think more players are able to win majors and more players are candidates for the top spots.  It feels good for the sport to have some new faces. It makes it more attractive.”
After a brief spell at home, Djokovic will fly to Halmstad, Sweden on Tuesday for defending Davis Cup champion Serbia’s quarter-final tie. He is joined in the team by Viktor TroickiJanko Tipsarevic and Nenad Zimonjic against a Swedish side that is without World No. 5 Robin Soderling.

No comments:

Post a Comment